Friday, March 8, 2013

The Earth Painter by Melissa Turner Lee



 

I must say that after reading this exquisite, heart-wrenching story, I don't know whether to cry or be happy. This story put me somewhere between those two emotions. Although it may sound like I am unsure about whether or not I liked the story, I have to say that I truly loved it. It was a painfully beautiful story of growth and discovery, and I honestly hated to see it end. I sure do hope that the author takes the ending and weaves it into another brilliant story that will leave me once again breathless and full of hope for what the future may hold.

I was delighted at how Lee tackled a very important issue in this book, and that is how we deal with people pushing their expectations on us. While this issue is dealt differently with teenagers and tweens, it is still an important issue that even adults have to figure out how to handle. I have experienced this personally, and I really like how Lee portrayed Holly’s response to her mother’s unrealistic expectations. She tried as best she could to communicate with her mother that what her mother wanted just wasn’t who she really was. I absolutely loved seeing the change that Holly goes through from an unsure, highly stressed teenager to a confident, strong young woman who knew who she was and what she wanted. It was such a joy to watch her individuality nurtured and encouraged by those who truly knew and loved her.

It is so very important and desperately needed that the young ladies in our lives be shown that they are beautiful, priceless, and important to us. We need to take an active role in their lives to encourage their interests and to listen to their problems. If we don’t, the alternative will not be pretty.

This is the first young adult paranormal story that I have read, and I truly enjoyed every word of it. It was such a thrilling and touching story that it held my heart captive and kept me on a perpetual adrenaline rush. The story flowed effortlessly off the pages and my heart raced after it not wanting to miss a thing. Melissa Turner Lee feels like such a natural writer, and I can’t wait to read more of what she has written. She has sparked an interest in me to find more wonderful stories in this genre, and I hope that they include more delightful stories from her in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment